April 11 2016 – Laura Wright
DIY PARTY BALLOON INSTRUCTIONS:
PREP TIME: 1 hour/ 6 balloons, DRY TIME: 12 hours
1. GATHER SUPPLIES:
- STYROFOAM EGGS
- WOODEN SKEWERS OF DESIRED LENGTH
- MODGE PODGE POURED INTO A BOWL
- FOAM BRUSH
- TISSUE PAPER OF DESIRED COLORS CUT INTO 7" SQUARES
- BAKERS TWINE OR NARROW RIBBON
- STYROFOAM SHEET
2. To begin, stick the wooden skewer in the top, or narrow end of the egg. Holding by the skewer, use the foam brush to cover the egg in Modge Podge. Cover all egg surface area, but do not leave excess.
3. Place the 'top' of the balloon in the center of the tissue paper square. Carefully smooth the tissue paper around the egg shape. Note: Tissue paper will tear if you are not gentle. Tissue paper may be left loose around the bottom of the balloon at this point. Once tissue paper is wrapped to your liking, stick the skewer into the styrofoam sheet and let dry.
Repeat these steps for each individual balloon.
4. Once dry, carefully tie the bakers twine or narrow ribbon into bows where the styrofoam egg meets the skewer. The tighter the ribbon is tied, the better the final product will look. Cover the outside of the balloon with a thin layer of Modge Podge. Let dry.
5. Trim the excess tissue paper and baker's twine the bottom of the balloon to the desired length.
6. Continue to let the balloons dry in an upright position over night.
7. HAVE FUN! Different uses include:
- CAKE TOPPER
- TIED INTO NAPKIN/SILVERWARE SETS
- IN FLOWER ARRANGEMENTS
- HORS D' OEUVRE SKEWERS
- DRINK MIXERS
- and more!