A SIMPLE FALL SIDE DISH: Wild rice with sweet potatoes, apples, grapes & almonds!
Posted on November 02 2015
Just wanted to share an extra yummy fall dish that I recently made. I'm not one for reading and following recipes. Instead, I like to throw together fresh, seasonal ingredients that I have on hand. With that said, all 'instructions' are quite relaxed... modify according to your own taste!
**Please note, if you are professional chef (like my best friend) or culinary expert of any form, you may have qualms with this post, as I have zero formal training... just some basic knowledge of cooking and a whole lot of creativity!
TIME: 50 minutes
SERVES: A LOT- MAKES A LARGE SERVING BOWL FULL
- 2 CUPS WILD RICE BLEND (WE USED LUNDBERG WILD BLEND RICE)
- 3 TABLESPOONS BUTTER
- 2 SWEET POTATOES- DICED
- 3 APPLES- DICED
- GRAPES- CUT IN HALF
- SLIVERED ALMONDS
- FRESH ROSEMARY
- FRESH THYME
- OLIVE OIL
- HAZELNUT OIL
OTHER THINGS THAT MAY BE GOOD TO ADD:
- FINELY CHOPPED RED ONION
- FRESH SAGE
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Prepare the rice as dictated on the package... our rice took 45 minutes. Add butter for extra flare. Once the rice is finished cooking, salt/season to taste.
- While the rice is simmering, toss the diced sweet potatoes in a blend of olive oil, hazelnut oil, seasoning and cinnamon. Spread out on a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes.
- Toss the apples, grapes, rosemary and thyme in the same blend of olive oil, hazelnut oil, seasoning and cinnamon. After the sweet potatoes have baked for 20 minutes, pull them out of the oven, add the apple/grape concoction. Bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Toast almonds in a pan on the stovetop.
- Once all ingredients are finished, combine in a large bowl. Serve immediately hot or refrigerate and serve cold. This dish also serves well at room temperature.
- Have yet to try this, but I think it might also be good as a wrap: Add pulled chicken, feta cheese and wrap in a tortilla of your choice!
LOVE, LO :)